About this course
It is a truism that patients must consent to treatment. However, consent is a complicated process, and this Consent course will take you through it, highlighting the legal and ethical basis for consent to examination and treatment.
This course is a GDC Recommended CPD Topic (Legal & Ethical Issues).
This course is relevant to the whole dental team.
CPD Time: 90 minutes (1.5 CE Credits)
Customer feedback on this course
- Concise but informative and comprehensive with clear and plain language.
- It was a very interesting course and very well done. It gives you very clear information about the consent process.
- Great coverage of a complex topic.
- Very good online delivery, useful and relevant knowledge.
- Provides all the salient information related to this topic.
Assessment: 12 MCQs. Pass mark 75%. more…
On passing the assessment you will immediately receive a GDC-recognised Enhanced CPD Certificate.
Access: You will have access for 12 months, and can take the course as often as you wish in this period.
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this course is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge and understanding in Consent as it applies to healthcare, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
• To present a comprehensive overview of the ethical and legal significance of consent.
• To show how the Mental Capacity Act applies in practice.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
The learner will
• be able to identify what is required for valid consent.
• understand and know how to apply the Mental Capacity Act.
• understand the ethical basis of consent.
• recognise when consent may not be valid.
• understand the relationship between consent and negligence.
• through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
A B D
Express and implied consent | Informed consent | Recording consent | Specific and restricted consent | Obtaining consent | Age implications | Ethical basis of consent | Autonomy | Beneficence | Non-maleficence | Competence | Information | Voluntariness | Decision | Legal aspects | Battery and negligence | Consent and the Mental Capacity Act | Consent and the CQC
You can copy and adapt this example PDP entry for your own needs and circumstances. The format complies with GDC guidance on PDP structure.
|PDP Learning or Maintenance need|
|How does this relate to my field of practice?|
|Consent is an important part of medical/dental ethics and human rights law.|
|Which development outcome(s) does it link to?|
|What benefit will this have to my work?|
|Perform tasks that are required for my daily role/duties.|
|How will I meet this learning or maintenance need?|
|Take the Verified Learning course on Consent|
|When will I complete the activity?|