About this course
Dental staff have an obligation to ensure they are trained in Basic Life Support and the management of cardiac emergencies, and updated regularly.
The UK Resuscitation Council recommends that CPR simulation training with mannequins should be used in addition to theoretical learning through attended or online courses.
This course is a GDC Highly Recommended CPD Topic (Medical Emergencies).
This course is relevant to the whole dental team.
CPD Time: 2 hours (2 CE Credits)
Customer feedback on this course
- Really clear and easy to follow. Liked the mix of videos and text to break it up.
- A comprehensive guide to Medical emergencies and BLS. Great refresher course.
- Very informative and simple to understand
- Very good and certainly went into more dept than my usual courses/practical training. By helping me understand more I feel I will remember this better.
- I thought this was a really well done elearning module. In particular I think its brilliant that you included the emotional impact of having to attend to a cardiac arrest.
Assessment: 12 MCQs. Pass mark 75%. more…
On passing the assessment you will immediately receive a GDC-recognised Enhanced CPD Certificate.
Access: You will have access for 12 months, and can take the course as often as you wish in this period.
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Verified Learning course is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in cardiac emergencies, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
• to help the learner recognise and manage the variety of cardiac emergencies that may arise both within and outside the Practice
Anticipated learning outcomes:
The learner will:
• know of and understand the various cardiac emergencies that might arise in and out of dental practice.
• recognise the signs and symptoms of different types of cardiac emergencies.
• know about and be able to undertake their management, with Basic Life Support skills if necessary.
• through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
This module is studied online, and does not include "live" hands-on mannequin training.
GDC Development Outcomes
A B C D
CPR BLS and Cardiac Emergencies | Essential Drugs Kit | Basic Life Support | Covid and CPR | Hands-only CPR | The primary survey | Assessment of the sick or unconscious patient | The AED in action | AED Training | Adult CPR | Child and Baby CPR | Emotional impact of CPR | Myocardial infarction | Angina Pectoris
You can copy and adapt this example PDP entry for your own needs and circumstances. The format complies with GDC guidance on PDP structure.
|PDP Learning or Maintenance need|
|CPR BLS and Cardiac Emergencies|
|How does this relate to my field of practice?|
|I must be prepared for the risk of medical emergencies both in and out of the practice|
|Which development outcome(s) does it link to?|
|A B C D|
|What benefit will this have to my work?|
|Perform tasks that may be required and expected in my profession.|
|How will I meet this learning or maintenance need?|
|Take the Verified Learning course on CPR BLS and Cardiac Emergencies|
|When will I complete the activity?|