About this course
Patients deserve to be treated in a safe and clean environment with consistent standards of care every time they receive treatment. This course covers Decontamination, Disinfection and Sterilisation in the dental practice.
This course is a GDC Highly Recommended CPD Topic (Disinfection and decontamination).
This course is relevant to the whole dental team, particularly those involved in instrument processing.
CPD Time: 1 hour (1 CE Credit)
Customer feedback on this course
- I really found this course helpful in updating my knowledge of what is required of me to do my job to the best of my ability.
- Very informative, didn't realise how out of touch I was.
- The course content is precise and very knowledgeable. Engaging and kept me interested in the material. Very good!
- Good clear concise up to date information, covering all the required topics.
- This course was easy to understand, great explanations.
Assessment: 12 MCQs. Pass mark 75%. more…
On passing the assessment you will immediately receive a GDC-recognised Enhanced CPD Certificate.
Access: You will have access for 12 months, and can take the course as often as you wish in this period.
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this course is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in decontamination, disinfection and sterilisation as part of practice infection control, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
• to update members of the dental team with current best practice in decontamination, disinfection and sterilisation.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
The learner will:
• understand the differences between decontamination, disinfection and sterilisation.
• understand their importance in keeping people safe.
• understand how their principles are applied in the dental surgery and decon room environments.
• Know what techniques and equipment are required, and how and when to use them.
• through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes:
B C D
Decontamination, Disinfection and Sterilisation | Introduction | In-surgery decontamination | Decontamination PPE | Gloves and aprons | Face and foot protection | Clothing, uniforms and laundry | Removal of PPE | Washer-disinfectors | Ultrasonic Baths | Manual Instrument Cleaning | Disinfection | Autoclaves | Storage of sterilised items
You can copy and adapt this example PDP entry for your own needs and circumstances. The format complies with GDC guidance on PDP structure.
|PDP Learning or Maintenance need|
|Decontamination, Disinfection and Sterilisation|
|How does this relate to my field of practice?|
|I am involved in instrument processing|
|Which development outcome(s) does it link to?|
|B C D|
|What benefit will this have to my work?|
|Perform tasks that are required for my daily role/duties.|
|How will I meet this learning or maintenance need?|
|Take the Verified Learning course on Decontamination, Disinfection and Sterilisation|
|When will I complete the activity?|