About this course
This IRMER course is free - no card required.
Dental staff in the UK are required by law to be "IRMER Trained". This law applies to everyone involved in taking and/or processing radiographs, not just GDC registrants. This free IRMER course provides an annual refresher for professionals who have previously undertaken relevant CPD in radiography and radiological protection.
This free course is a GDC Highly Recommended CPD Topic (Radiography and radiation protection).
This course is relevant to the whole dental team. It provides training for the roles of Operator, Practitioner, Referrer, Legal Person, and Radiation Protection Advisor.
CPD Time: 1 hour (1 CE Credits)
Customer feedback on this course
- This course is fantastic, great overview, great website (this is my first time using it) - will definitely be coming back for future CPD needs.
- Very clear concise up to date information, covering all the required irmer topics. Thank you.
- This course was perfect for updating my knowledge and skills. It was easy to follow and very informative.
- Well organised and easy to navigate. Just great.
- Very well done and thank you for the creators of a short well designed concise course giving much new updated information and straight to the point. Delightful.
Assessment: 12 MCQs. Pass mark 75%. more…
On passing the assessment you will immediately receive a GDC-recognised Enhanced CPD IRMER Certificate.
Access: You will have access for 12 months, and can take the course as often as you wish in this period.
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this course is to allow learners to develop and refresh their professional knowledge and understanding of Radiography and Radiation Protection, in line with their identified personal development requirements.
• to teach the knowledge required to implement and comply with the theoretical knowledge requirements of the IRR and IR(ME)R laws and current professional recommendations.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
The learner will:
• have an understanding of the dangers of radiation, at any dose.
• have an understanding of the principles and methods of Justification, Optimisation and Limitation.
• have an understanding of the role of Quality Assurance in implementing these principles.
• know the roles and responsibilities for staff involved in radiography.
• learn how the law protects staff, patients, and the public.
• through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
IRMER - Introduction to radiation protection | Ionising radiation | Radiological Justification | Optimisation - ALARP | X-ray set controls | Filtration and collimation | Sensors and films | Operator Technique | Quality Assurance | Quality monitoring | Legal aspects | Roles and responsibilities
You can copy and adapt this example PDP entry for your own needs and circumstances. The format complies with GDC guidance on PDP structure.
|PDP Learning or Maintenance need|
|IRMER training compliance|
|How does this relate to my field of practice?|
|I am involved in dental radiography/radiology|
|Which development outcome(s) does it link to?|
|What benefit will this have to my work?|
|Perform tasks that are required for my daily role/duties.|
|How will I meet this learning or maintenance need?|
|Take the Verified Learning IRMER refresher course|
|When will I complete the activity?|