About this course
Welcome to the Learning Disabilities Awareness course, designed for UK dental professionals to meet their CQC legal requirement for learning disabilities training.
As dental professionals, our responsibilities extend beyond just dental care; it's about ensuring every patient feels understood, valued, and comfortable.
This course will enhance your understanding of learning disabilities, equipping you with the knowledge and skills to offer exceptional care to all patients, regardless of their abilities.
This course is a CQC mandatory topic.
This course is relevant to the whole dental team.
CPD Time: 1 hour (1 CPD Credit)
Customer feedback on this course
- Well presented and very informative course.
- This course was comprehensive and detailed yet easy to understand.
- Interesting topic, very well explained.
- Gave a lot of insight
Assessment: 12 MCQs. Pass mark 75%. more…
On passing the assessment you will immediately receive a GDC-recognised Enhanced CPD Certificate.
To enhance the knowledge and understanding of dental professionals regarding learning disabilities, ensuring that they are equipped to offer compassionate, individualised, and effective dental care to patients with learning disabilities.
• To give participants an understanding of the implications for dental care, and effective strategies to manage and support patients with learning disabilities in the dental setting.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
The learner will:
• Understand their potential impact of learning disabilities on oral health.
• Recognise the specific challenges and barriers faced by patients with learning disabilities when accessing dental care and implement strategies to overcome them.
• Communicate effectively with patients with learning disabilities, employing alternative communication techniques when necessary.
• Collaborate with carers and multidisciplinary teams to ensure comprehensive dental care planning tailored to the individual needs of patients with learning disabilities.
• Advocate for and contribute to creating an inclusive and supportive dental environment that respects and addresses the unique needs of every patient.
GDC Development Outcomes:
Learning Disabilities Awareness | Good Oral Health | What are learning disabilities? | Signs of Learning Disabilities | Oral Health Challenges | Impact of Oral Health Problems | Oral Health Risk Factors | Barriers | Oral Care and Treatment Strategies | Fissure Sealing, Orthodontics | Reducing anxiety | Training and Education for Carers
You can copy and adapt this example PDP entry for your own needs and circumstances. The format complies with GDC guidance on PDP structure.
|PDP Learning or Maintenance need|
|Understanding Learning Disabilities, and their impact on dental care.|
|How does this relate to my field of practice?|
|My job is patient facing.|
|Which development outcome(s) does it link to?|
|What benefit will this have to my work?|
|Perform tasks that are required for my normal role/duties.|
|How will I meet this learning or maintenance need?|
|Take the Verified Learning course on Learning Disabilities|
|When will I complete this by?|
Note: After copying and adapting the suggested PDP entry, remember to reflect, plan, act, and evaluate for every CPD activity you undertake.