About this course
The Mental Capacity Act is designed to protect and empower people who may lack the mental capacity to make their own decisions about their care and treatment. It applies to people aged 16 and over. This course helps you understand its importance and relevance in dental practice.
This course is a GDC Recommended CPD Topic (Legal & Ethical Issues).
This course is relevant to the whole dental team.
CPD Time: 1 hour (1 CE Credit)
Customer feedback on this course
- Very Informative, gave good information about the legal structures in place and it was good to be updated on this.
- This module has made me think an awful lot about how I convey treatment options to patients.
- Made a complex subject easy to understand.
- Fundamental topic for anyone involved in patient care
- Very important aspect of day to day treatment, well presented.
Assessment: 12 MCQs. Pass mark 75%. more…
On passing the assessment you will immediately receive a GDC-recognised Enhanced CPD Certificate.
Access: You will have access for 12 months, and can take the course as often as you wish in this period.
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this course is to allow learners to develop their professional understanding and ability to apply the Mental Capacity Act in the healthcare context, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
• To present a comprehensive overview of the Mental Capacity Act.
• To show how the Mental Capacity Act applies in practice.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
The learner will
• be able to identify when a person lacks capacity.
• know what procedures to adopt when there is incapacity.
• know who to contact to resolve doubt about capacity.
• through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
A B D
MCA basics | Assessment of mental capacity | Helping people make their own decisions | Best interests | The least restrictive option | Deprivation of liberty | Advance statements and decisions | Lasting Powers of Attorney | The Court of Protection | Professionals' duties under the MCA
You can copy and adapt this example PDP entry for your own needs and circumstances. The format complies with GDC guidance on PDP structure.
|PDP Learning or Maintenance need|
|Understanding the Mental Capacity Act|
|How does this relate to my field of practice?|
|This law underpins patient consent to examination and treatment.|
|Which development outcome(s) does it link to?|
|What benefit will this have to my work?|
|Perform tasks that are required for my daily role/duties.|
|How will I meet this learning or maintenance need?|
|Take the Verified Learning course on the Mental Capacity Act|
|When will I complete the activity?|